Thanks Kenton, thats reassuring.

________________________________

From: Kenton Varda [mailto:ken...@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:56 PM
To: Alex Black
Cc: Protocol Buffers
Subject: Re: libprotobuf.lib, 29mb?

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Alex Black <a...@alexblack.ca> wrote:

        I'm on windows, using Visual Studio 2008 SP1, compiling a
Release x64
        build of libprotobuf.  The lib file is 29,570KB big, is that
        expected?

I was going to say "no way", but sure enough, the 32-bit release build
is 18,154k, so 64-bit could easily be double that.  However, when you
actually link a binary with the library, the size is much smaller.
protoc.exe, for example, is 1MB, and it includes both libprotobuf.lib
and libprotoc.lib, the latter of which is 10MB.

I don't know much about MSVC, but perhaps it is including some sort of
debug info in this library?  Cygwin produces a 14MB libprotobuf.a, but
after stripping it is down to 968k.

Note that I consider 1MB to be too big for many users, which is why the
next version will have a "lite" mode that sheds all the descriptors and
reflection features and should be very small.

        I'm using the provided visual studio projects, but I added the
x64
        configuration to them, perhaps I have some options set
incorrectly or
        something.

        (The debug lib is 33,575KB)

        thanks!