It doesn't look like it has an existing interface for setting zlib
options. Reading through the source[1], it looks like it chooses
Z_BEST_COMPRESSION (-9 to the gzip command line program) whereas gzip
defaults to -6. I'll work up a patch to pass the compression value
through as another option to the constructor.

--Pete