That implementation was written completely independently of the protocol
buffers team at google, and is not maintained by us.  I've heard that it is
buggy, and it doesn't support many of the newer language features, though
since I've never used it myself or looked at the code I'm not sure if that's
true.  In any case, as far as I know they have not released the compiler
publicly -- but the Android people would know more about this than I would.

Hopefully the "lite" mode in upcoming protobuf version 2.2.0 (which I hope
to get out within the next couple weeks) will provide a better solution for
Android developers.  It no longer triggers this Dalvik VM bug, and is
generally much better suited to mobile platforms, while still providing
mostly the same API.