On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Scott Stafford <scott.staff...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting... Are you using SWIG to wrap the C++?

No, straight C extensions.  (SWIG is just a code generator that generates C
extensions.)

>  Would you have to
> actually compile something to use a message in Python (god forbid)?

You'd have to install a general protocol buffers extension, but you would
not have to compile any C++ code specific to your message types (unless you
want even more speed).

> Thinking about it a bit, I guess you'd just SWIG the static (non-
> generated) interfaces and the Python classes would all operate
> exclusively through reflection, such that any Python operation (or
> "class definition") would just call various DescriptorPool and
> Reflection methods to perform all operations... ?  If so, that changes
> a lot of things for us, but possibly 90% for the better...

That sounds more or less accurate, though we're still not completely sure
how it will end up looking.  The first priority is to make the Python API
faster (without necessarily adding any new functionality), but adding access
to DescriptorPool makes some sense once we have that.