Hi,

This might be a "how long is a piece of string"-type question, but I
was wondering if there's any way for me to know how much protocol
buffers might add to my app's memory footprint, when I have a large
number of messages. I see there's a LITE option which sounds like the
mode I would need to be working in? I'm assuming this affects the code
generational aspects of PB, ie the classes it generates for me. Is
there a runtime engine for PB?

The context of my question, is that I am currently working on a
project that uses SOAP as an IPC mechanism. I know, the decision to
use SOAP pre-dates my involvement, but our interface is quite large,
e.g. 7 main services each exposing say 10 functions, and the "client
end" is also a SOAP server for async callback, so there's an API in
both directions so-to-speak. Server end is a Java app. Between SOAP,
jetty, the generated classes etc, this IPC layer of the server end of
our app represents about a 1/3 of the runtime memory footprint of this
server process. For us, whatever we replace SOAP with would have to
have a much smaller memory footprint, rather than necessarily being
much faster.

I know Protocol Buffers doesn't include an RPC implementation and
merely provides stubs, but I could imagine we could produce a fairly
light-weight RPC implementation, but I'm more concerned that we could
go down this road and find that using Protocol Buffers will also
produce a large memory footprint, really because our API is large. I'm
not sure if this gives enough context to help anyone answer my
question, but I would be interested even in understanding a little
more about how I might go about working this out for myself? Any
pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Noel