I assume that when you say "C++ 4.1.1", what you mean is "G++ 4.1.1", i.e.
GCC 4.1.1's C++ compiler?  Or do you mean some other compiler?  C++ itself
does not have version numbers.
I have tested protocol buffers on many different versions of GCC, including
both the 3.x and 4.x range.  It seems very unlikely that 4.1.1 in particular
doesn't work.

Can you run the tests?  I.e. do "make check" in the top-level protobuf
directory.  If the tests pass, then the problem is certainly something with
the way you are installing the libraries.  Maybe you installed them to the
wrong location, and then when you build the examples you are actually
building them against the old version?  The crash looks like something that
would happen if you mixed compiler versions.

There's not much more I can say with only one line of a stack trace.  If you
can't figure it out, it might help if you provided the whole stack.