This is something I intended to do with descriptor sets but haven't had
time.  Basically I think you should be able to specify descriptor set files
in the place of directories in the import path (with -I).  You are the first
person to comment on it.  :)
Implementing this will require some refactoring in the way input paths are
set up.  Currently the compiler constructs a single
SourceTreeDescriptorDatabase which parses files from a DiskSourceTree, where
DiskSourceTree is designed to scan multiple directories.  The way I should
have designed this is to have each SourceTreeDescriptorDatabase read from a
single directory, and then use a MergedDescriptorDatabase to combine several
of these.  That way, you could insert other kind of DescriptorDatabases in
between source directories.  In the case of a FileDescriptorSet, you'd use a
SimpleDescriptorDatabase.