In practice we're talking on the order of a 10% performance gain from this
optimization.  So, it's not the end of the world if you write fields
out-of-order.  However, some users may rely on canonical ordering for other
reasons, e.g. to be able to cryptographically sign messages, use their
hashes as cache keys, etc.