Generally the most efficient way to serialize a message to stdout is:
  message.SerializeToFileDescriptor(STDOUT_FILENO);

(If your system doesn't define STDOUT_FILENO, just use the number 1.)

If you normally use C++'s cout, you might want to write to that instead:

  message.SerializeToOstream(std::cout);

For small messages, it may be slightly faster to serialize to a string and
then write that.  But the difference there would be small, and if it matters
to you we should probably just fix the protobuf library to do this
optimization automatically...

All of these methods require that you write the size first if you intend to
write multiple messages to the stream.