Some things I forgot to mention:
-working on Slackware Linux platform
-did text search for DeserializeWithLengthPrefix() and haven't found
any header or code files with this method
-was able to find lots of serializing methods in message.h but that
same header file doesn't contain any methods starting with Deserialize
-message.h doesn't contain declaration for SerializeWithLengthPrefix
().  This function doesn't seem to be declared anywhere in any code or
header file.