Use the --with-protoc option to configure to tell it to use a particular
protoc binary when building (rather than attempt to execute the one it just
built).
Other than that, cross-compiling works the same as with any
automake/autoconf package.  E.g. I have cross-compiled Windows binaries on a
Mac machine using:

   ./configure --with-protoc=/usr/bin/protoc --host=i386-mingw32
--prefix=/usr/i386-mingw32

Depending on your setup, you may need to specify more stuff.  See
INSTALL.txt for detailed instructions.

Note that protoc's output is identical on all platforms.