Sorry guys. Yes, I asked for something else. My bad.

How exactly this will handle the problem with the different output files?

________________________________
From: Kenton Varda [mailto:ken...@google.com]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 2:59 PM
To: Monty Taylor
Cc: George Georgiev; Protocol Buffers
Subject: Re: protoc feature question

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Monty Taylor
<mord...@inaugust.com<mailto:mord...@inaugust.com>> wrote:
Well, the build-if-newer is handled by either Make or VisualStudio, not
by the compiler in either case.

Right, the link is to a build system plugin.  I'm all for build system plugins
for protocol buffers but those wouldn't involve changing protoc.

As for the dependencies ... gcc _does_ have options (-MD -MP -MF) to
spit out depends that it determines from following include files in
Makefile format.

I'd definitely accept adding an option like that to protoc, if someone sends me
a patch, though this is pretty different from what George was asking for.

So I would be in favor of protoc including support for the second. I
have no interest (and actually a negative interest) in protoc handling
the first thing - that's a job for a build system)

Sounds like we're in agreement here.