So Java users don't like relying on C++ code in their build process.  On the
other hand, most C++ users would not accept Java in their build process
either.  But if we wrote the C++ code generator in C++ and the Java code
generator in Java, then we'd need to write and maintain a .proto parser in
both languages as well.  A correct parser that supports all features (e.g.
custom options) is a large, complicated piece of code, and maintaining two
separate implementations of it would be a huge pain.
This seems to leave no options that please everyone.  :/