Thanks for doing this.  Unfortunately, I guess this requires forking the
code?  There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the Python version
and having to do them all twice will be pretty annoying.  In fact there is a
rather large change coming which improves performance quite a bit which
presumably we'll also want in the Python 3 version, but it would probably be
easier to re-do the port than to try to integrate the change into what you
have.
So I'm not sure what we should do with this...