On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:

> So Java users don't like relying on C++ code in their build process.  On
> the other hand, most C++ users would not accept Java in their build process
> either.  But if we wrote the C++ code generator in C++ and the Java code
> generator in Java, then we'd need to write and maintain a .proto parser in
> both languages as well.  A correct parser that supports all features (e.g.
> custom options) is a large, complicated piece of code, and maintaining two
> separate implementations of it would be a huge pain.
> This seems to leave no options that please everyone.  :/

We have a similar issue here with an Ivy-based environment, but it's not
really a problem.

We just put the path to protoc in a user-specific properties file (i.e.
$HOME/.build.properties) and require that our build machines are set up
appropriately if you want to build modules that use protoc. Since we already
have to do that for other tools anyway, it's no big deal. Installing protoc
just becomes another step in the list of prerequisites when preparing a
build environment, much like we have to install appropriate versions of
other tools needed to build (a JRE, Ant, Ivy, etc)

-O