On Oct 29, 2009, at 2:26 AM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with R.  But, the error means that you've attempted
> to load two different copies of rexp.pb.cc into the same process.
> The protobuf runtime requires that all compiled-in .proto files have
> unique names.
>
> Note that if you have two files with the same name, but in different
> directories, then you should make sure to run protoc from the common
> parent directory.  E.g., if you have foo/myproto.proto and bar/
> myproto.proto, DON'T do this:
>
>   (cd foo && protoc myproto.proto)
>   (cd bar && protoc myproto.proto)
>
> In this case, protoc assigns the same name to both files.
>
> Instead, you should do this:
>
>   protoc foo/myproto.proto
>   protoc bar/myproto.proto
>
> Then the directory name becomes part of each file name, making them
> different.  Note that you can also use --proto_path to identify the
> top-level source directory instead of actually running protoc from it.

Thanks , that is what us happening, the same file is being loaded
twice. I'll follow your suggestion and see how things go.

> ========
>
> PS.  I notice you wrote this:
>
> http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/rprotobuf-yada/2009-October/000000.html
>
> There is a missing option (c) here:  Do like option (b), but do NOT
> copy the protoc source code.  Instead, simply link against
> libprotoc, which is one of the libraries included in the protobuf
> package -- it provides the CommandLineInterface class, so all you
> need to do is write a CodeGenerator implementation and a main()
> function.  The .proto language DOES change over time (we add new
> features), so you should not try to write your own parser!

Yes , after I sent that email, romain pointed me to the c++ API
whereupon I found the methods you mentioned. My mistake. I saw the
java generator and got a rudimentary idea if how it was being done.

Thanks again for your prompt help
Regards
Saptarshi