should have done a bit more searching first.

looks like the solution may look like this:

* run configure with --prefix set to the target folder,
  and with --disable-shared specified to trigger static linking.

* make clean

* make install

and there you have a portable version of protoc !

sorry for the spam,
hopefully this will help someone in the future. in the future!

orion