You can feel free to move the "tools" directory from the branch into the
trunk at any time, since its presence won't affect anything else.  Any
changes outside "tools" (e.g. to make the tools directory be include in the
dist) I would like to review carefully, but should be simple.

Is there someone who can review the maven plugin code itself?  Not being
much of a Maven user myself -- and certainly not a plugin developer -- I
don't think I could provide a meaningful review.