mk wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could someone please help me to install protobuf-2.2.0a on Sun Soalris
> machine. I tried even to install it to /usr, but I am still getting
> these same errors:
>
> ld: fatal: file .libs/common.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to .libs/
> libprotobuf.so.5.0.0
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This looks like a configure-script bug I hit earlier that results in
trying to mix 32- and 64-bit objects when linking. To avoid this, you
need to explicitly pass -m32 or -m64 in *both* CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

I configure my solaris builds like this:

32-bit:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/protobuf/2.2.0 \
  --without-zlib \
  --disable-64bit-solaris \
  CXXFLAGS="-m32 -g -DNDEBUG -fno-exceptions" \
  PROTOBUF_OPT_FLAG=-O2 \
  CFLAGS=-m32

64-bit:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/protobuf/2.2.0 \
  --without-zlib \
  CXXFLAGS="-m64 -g -DNDEBUG -fno-exceptions" \
  PROTOBUF_OPT_FLAG=-O2 \
  CFLAGS=-m64

-O