> An example:
> Foo.jar contains the compiled Java code for the following protobuf:
> option java_package = "com.foo";
> message FooMsg {
>   optional int32 a = 1;
>   optional int32 b = 2;
> }
>
> In my code, I want to do this:
> option java_package = "com.bar";
> message BarMsg {
>   optional com.foo.FooMsg my_foo = 1;
> }
>
> However, for the purposes of this discussion, I do not have access to
> the proto file for FooMsg, and thus cannot simply do an "import
> FooMsg.proto".
>
> Just want to know if this is possible as it would be very convenient
> for me.

There are two ways to do this, one if you can deal with a dependency
in the other direction, and one if neither can depend on the other.

If you can allow FooMsg to depend on BarMsg, then you can use extensions:

in barmsg.proto:
message BarMsg {
  extension 100 to max;
}

in foomsg.proto:
message FooMsg {
  optional int32 a = 1;
  optional int32 b = 2;
  extend BarMsg {
    optional FooMsg my_foo = 100;

Alternatively, if you can't have dependencies in either direction, you
can send opaque messages as bytes, like so:

message BarMsg {
  optional bytes my_foo = 1;
}

But you have to do the serializing and deserializing manually:

BarMsg bar = BarMsg.parseFrom(whatever);
FooMsg foo = FooMsg.parseFrom(bar.getMyFoo());

- Adam