It's the official stable release. As I observed by searching the web
for a solution the issue regarding 'libstdc++.dll.a' is well known.
Unfortunately it seems that they (mingw team) react very slowly in
fixing the signaled issues/bugs.

The link that helped me is
http://eschew.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/building-protobuf-with-mingw-gcc-4-4-0/.
(however it is not necessary to install the mozilla-build tree).