Hmm, it occurs to me that this currently is not useful for reading from a
socket or similar stream since the caller has to make sure to read an entire
message before trying to parse it, but the caller doesn't actually know how
long the message is (because the code that determines this is encapsulated).
 Any thoughts on this?