Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 151 by ken...@google.com: protobuf 2.3 's plugin not work on Cygwin 1.7.1

I tried this with Cygwin 1.7.1 and did not see the problem you describe:

$ cat > /usr/bin/protoc-gen-bar << EOF
#! /bin/sh
echo "protoc-gen-bar executing" >&2
EOF
$ chmod +x /usr/bin/protoc-gen-bar
$ src/protoc.exe foo.proto --bar_out=.
protoc-gen-bar executing
$

So I think something is weird with your setup. Maybe you placed the source code in a
path that has spaces or unicode characters and Cygwin has issues with this?