On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM, edan <eda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, I can't imagine there is.  But what you could do is create a unit test
>> that runs during "make check" whose sole purpose is to include all the
>> headers, and compile with "-Werror".  Then you would catch any warnings in
>> the headers and be able to fix them before release.  Would this work, and is
>> it something you'd consider doing?
>>

> Hmm, yes, that sounds quite reasonable.  Of course, it will only cover
> GCC's warnings, but that should take care of about half the complaints we
> get.  Can you write up a patch for this?

Though there is the problem that if the test is run on a compiler with
stricter warnings, it could fail to compile, which could unnecessarily block
the running of any other tests, which is annoying.  At the very least we'd
have to limit the test to GCC platforms only since there are too many other
compilers out there.  Maybe this really needs to be separate from the
protobuf package, but something we run as part of the release process...