stl_hash.m4 should automatically look it whatever directory your compiler
uses.  If for some reason your compiler does not automatically look in the
directory you want, then you should add the proper CXXFLAGS to make it look
there, e.g.:

  ./configure CXXFLAGS=-I/XYZ/vacpp/include

(-I is GCC's flag for this; your compiler may be different.)