Can you try to produce a stripped-down example (e.g. a proto file and a
*short* stripped-down .java file) that exhibits the problem?  The byte
pattern in your email does look valid to me, so there's more likely some
issue where that isn't really what the protocol buffer code is seeing for
some reason.