Hi,

I'm modeling contracts that need to reside in a group. Groups are
strings, basically.

I've got rather many contracts, and I was thinking if it was possible
to have strings interned so they would take less memory. Since this
would be a load time change (load string up, intern it, and use what
ever that produced) I see little chance of getting it done good with
option extensions. (which I think are really just tags??)

It would be difficult (although not impossible) to model groups as
numbered-ids and have different message for them.

In my domain, I'd be left with the bigger problem of handling
uniqueness of the id (name would be superficially easier to guarantee
unique).

What say you? Would interned strings be reasonable java enhancement?