I'm not sure I understand.  I think you are using the word "group" to mean
something different than what it means in the .proto language.  At least, I
hope so, because the "group" in the .proto language is deprecated.

Are you suggesting that the parser should automatically intern every String
that it parses?  That sounds like it could be expensive for those who don't
need it.  Maybe you should re-design your data structure so that it doesn't
end up containing lots of copies of the same strings?