In 2.3.0, the Python implementation is now 10x-25x faster than it used to
be.  However, as the implementation is pure-python, it is still much slower
than C++.  Petar (author of much of the Python code) is currently working on
a version of the Python implementation which wraps the C++ library in the
hope of improving this further.