Please verify that the bytes you put into the parser are exactly the same
bytes as came out of the serializer.  You could do this e.g. by computing a
checksum on both sides and inspecting it manually.  If that doesn't help,
please try to reduce your code to a small, self-contained example and send
it to us (us = the list, not me personally).

I don't think Evan's suggestion is relevant since you say you are going from
Java to C++.  Also, even if you were transmitting non-UTF-8 strings from C++
to Java, you'd get garbage strings, not empty.