When reading about the varint encoding I wondered if there was a
specific guidance on how to handle a badly encoded/out-of-bounds
varint. In particular, what if I get more than ten consecutive bytes
with the high bit set?

1) Treat the whole message as bad, and drop it

2) Treat the field as bad, do I keep eating as long as there are high
bits set, or stop after ten and try to decode a new
tag?

3) Keep eating bytes until a high bit isn't set, and just throw away
the bits that wont fit into the type I am trying to decode into.

4) Eat up to 10 bytes, decode the least significant 64 bits from the
encoded field, and try to decode a new tag

Kevin