Yes, this is what I am doing at the moment (boost::filesystem).
However, It would be so much more elegant if it was possible with the
protobuf library -- C++ does not come with portable filesystem
handling off-the-bat and I would have to use the Ansi-C libraries or
boost.

I am building a Complex Event Processor / Active Database and I need
to generate a symbol-table at runtime for the event types so that I
can dynamically identify and process the events -- this process needs
to go over every file, in certain mapped directories, therefore the
requested feature would be very useful -- I can see this feature being
useful for people trying to benefit from protobuf as a more extensible
and generic platform for creating types usable not only serving the
purpose of a over-the-wire format  and a portable message
specification.