I think it would be really helpful to be able to override anything in
FileOptions from the command line, at least.  I'm not sure if anyone
would really want to override options at other levels (Message/Field/
Enum/Service/Method)... but maybe something like:

# apply a file-level option to specific files
protoc +file+foo.proto,bar.proto+optimize_for=SPEED foo.proto
bar.proto baz.proto

# apply a file-level option to all files
protoc +file+optimize_for=SPEED

# Apply a message-level option to specific messages
protoc +message+Foo,Bar+message_set_wire_format=1 foo.proto bar.proto
baz.proto

# Apply a message-level option to specific messages in specific files
protoc +message+foo.proto:Foo,bar.proto:Bar+message_set_wire_format=1
foo.proto bar.proto baz.proto

# Apply a message-level option to all messages in a set of files
protoc +message+foo.proto:,bar.proto:+message_set_wire_format=1
foo.proto bar.proto baz.proto

# Apply a message-level option to all messages in all files
protoc +message+message_set_wire_format=1 foo.proto bar.proto
baz.proto

# Apply a field-level option to specific fields in specific messages
in specific files (ugh)
protoc +field+foo.proto:Foo.bar+packed=1 foo.proto

# Apply a field-level option to all fields in all files (???)
protoc +field+packed=1 foo.proto

# Apply a field-level option to a particular field in all messages in
all files (NO!?)
protoc +field+:.baz+packed=1 foo.proto bar.proto

I don't know why someone would apply a field-level option to all
fields in all files, but... it would technically make it possible to
compile a set of .proto files with packed=true on all fields (assuming
protoc doesn't abort compilation if packed=true is applied to a non-
repeated or non-primitive field).

I don't have a strong opinion about delimiters in the option syntax; I
just chose some that should hopefully work without ambiguity.

-dave