I've started a small project at
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf-jerpc/which contains an
implementation of a protoc plugin that outputs essentially
the same classes etc that the current generic services mechanism outputs
(but in a different namespace).

Also in the project is a very simple C++ implementation of an RPC server
which can receive requests via a socket connection using protocol buffers.

It works OK for me 8-) But I'm sure there's more that could be done :

* Use a more customized set of base classes instead of RpcController,
RpcChannel etc.
* Project files etc. to build the plugin for Windows
* Better server implementation (threads ?)

If nothing else hopefully this can serve as some sort of example on how to
write your own protoc plugin for service generation etc.

Enjoy

Andrew 8-)

P.S. Thanks to Kenton and Jason over the past few days to get things this
far.