Owner: ken...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 174 by t.broyer: RFE: Allow service defs in optimize_for=LITE_RUNTIME if *_generic_service = false

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Create a *.proto file with optimize_for=LITE_RUNTIME,
java_generic_service=false and a service description
2. compile it with protoc --java_out=...

Given that I explicitly request to not generate a generic service from the
description (because I want to use a plugin to generate the code), there's
no reason the LITE_RUNTIME would be an issue, yet protoc produces the
following error: "Files with optimize_for = LITE_RUNTIME cannot define
services."

2.3.0 on Windows (using the pre-compiled binary)

Attached is a file (extended from the example in the doc) I'm using as test
input; the goal is to produce a GWT "super-source" with emulated messages
for the GWT "runtime" (same as the one generated by protoc by default,
except they wouldn't contain the parseFrom and mergeFrom methods) and GWT-
RPC interfaces for the services. I don't need the descriptors and they
would generate unnecessary overhead on the server-side.

As I understand it, this message suggests that once the plugin thing is in
(which it now is) there would no longer be a reason to tie the services to
the non-lite runtime (because at the language-level the service is not tied
to descriptors, only the generic service implementation is):
http://groups.google.com/group/protobuf/msg/f1ed9766142b8349

Attachments:
        protobuf.proto  924 bytes