Newbie here,

I usually work in java, but would like to play with our message files
using python scripts. We have .proto files nested at various depths
rather than in one directory as shown by the tutorial messages. Life
is easy for me in java land, but I'm not being very pythonic here:

compilation step:
  find src -name "*.proto" -exec protoc --proto_path=src/proto/ --
python_out=pyto/ {} +
making everything importable:
  find pyto/ -execdir touch __init__.py \;

Normally I use ant to build stuff, but if I want to play around in
pure python land I'd rather not.

I'd appreciate thoughts on more idiomatic ways to do what I am doing
here.

End result for me: be able import foo.bar.baz and play with it.