(Adding the group back to the discussion)

pkg_resources should be part of setuptools, which should be installed as
part of running the setup.py script. From the python README:
2) If you do not have setuptools installed, note that it will be
   downloaded and installed automatically as soon as you run setup.py.
   If you would rather install it manually, you may do so by following
   the instructions on this page:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#installation-instructions

I'm not sure why this would have failed when doing the install - did you see
any output related to setuptools?