Kenton,
  Thanks for the followup. I actually copied over the complete install to
the production server and this did not help. Here are the directories (and
their subdirectories) I copied:
 protobuf-2.3.0]$ ls
aclocal.m4    config.status     editors                       libtool
protobuf-lite.pc     stamp-h1
autogen.sh    config.sub        examples                      ltmain.sh
protobuf-lite.pc.in  vsprojects
CHANGES.txt   configure         generate_descriptor_proto.sh  m4
protobuf.pc
config.guess  configure.ac      gtest                         Makefile
protobuf.pc.in
config.h      CONTRIBUTORS.txt  install-sh                    Makefile.am
python
config.h.in   COPYING.txt       INSTALL.txt                   Makefile.in
README.txt
config.log    depcomp           java                          missing
src

Am I doing the right thing?

Eric