You can download and install pkg-config pretty easily.

Typically the only flags needed to link against libprotobuf are -lprotobuf,
-lz, and whatever flags are required by pthreads on your system.  No cflags
are required unless your headers were installed somewhere unusual (but you
might want -pthread to ensure that GCC produces thread-safe code).  Note,
though, that these requirements could change in the future, if libprotobuf
gains other dependencies.