It's not clear to me what the number of fields buys you. How do you intend
to serialize this large data if it doesn't fit into memory? The usual
solution to this is to split the large message into smaller fragments - in
your example, say, 10 messages each containing 100 nested messages. You can
serialize them separately - the concatenation of serialized data will also
be valid. When the client parses it, the repeated fields will be
concatenated. Of course, the client probably can't fit this data into memory
either, so you really need to write them as separate records so that the
client can parse them piece by piece. I think that the situation is the
same, or even worse, if you were to use the number of fields, but again, I'm
not sure I exactly see where you're going with this.

Furthermore, the length-delimited format is important when dealing with
unknown fields. Suppose the client reading the message doesn't know about a
field that uses this new wire type. When the client encounters the tag
number for this field, it doesn't have the type definition for the
submessage and won't be able to match the number of fields to the serialized
data. With the length-delimited format, it knows exactly how many bytes to
skip, and with groups, it just needs to find the corresponding end tag.