Generated protobuf classes as of version 2.3.0 do not implement
Serializable.  A change to support this was recently submitted against the
version of the code in our internal repository, but I have not yet had the
chance to port it to the cross-platform version (I will do so sometime
before the next release).  As it turns out, the internal version has the bug
you describe.  Are you a Google employee?