It sounds like you are using custom options incorrectly, independent of your
plugin.  That error message is being produced by protoc before it even tries
to call your plugin.  Please double-check the docs on custom options.  If
you can't figure out what's wrong, show us the .proto code you are using to
define and then use your option.