Since users of protobufs are necessarily themselves developers, it should
not be hard for them to compile it themselves.  Unfortunately, due to the
nature of the MSVC STL library, if we were to release pre-compiled libs, we
would have to release one for every combination of MSVC version and CRT
version (debug vs. release, DLL vs. static, etc.).  This would be
ridiculous, so instead we ask developers to compile the version they need.