So, let's say I'm developing a plugin which, say, add or removes builder
pattern to java generator (this is actually a real use case). So I created a
.proto file with my plugin metadata info:

MyPluginMetadata.proto:

import "google/protobuf/descriptor.proto"

extend google.protobuf.MessageOptions {
  optional bool use_builder_pattern = 50001;
}

Now I can just do:

MyAppMessages.proto:

import "path/to/MyPluginMetadata.proto"

message Foo {
  option (use_builder_pattern) = true;
}

Now, when I ask protoc to generate code for MyAppMessages.proto, I
get MyAppMessages.java which depends on MyPluginMetadata.java, even
though MyPluginMetadata.proto solely provides metadata extensions. Is there
a way to avoid that?

Thanks,
-Gatis