Hello,

(I submitted this already via the protobuf google group web form, but
I think I screwed up. If not, sorry for the double post)

 I have a C++-based server using protocol buffers as the IDL, and I'm
trying to ensure that it rejects invalid UTF-8 strings. My systest
library is written in Python. The C++ protocol buffer library does not
seem to do any UTF-8 string checking on string types, whereas the
Python library does. So I added some UTF-8 validation testing to the
C++ server-side and I want to check that it works (in case a C++
client sends invalid UTF-8). Whenever I inject invalid UTF-8 into the
Python systests to make sure the server rejects the string, the Python
library complains.

Is there a way to override this behavior?

I don't want to change my protocol buffer definitions to be the bytes
type, because these really should be strings, and the Python library
is doing exactly what I want for the general case.

-JT