It looks like Nicholaus got mixed up and thought you were a Google employee.
 I do that sometimes -- it's hard to keep track of all the different mailing
lists.  :/

Why do you need the BNF of the .proto language?  Most of the use cases for
this are covered by one of the following:

1) C++ apps can use the official parser implementation provided by
libprotoc.

2) If you are trying to write your own protobuf implementation, e.g. for a
different programming language, you can write it as a protoc plugin.  This
way, protoc still handles parsing the .proto, and all you have to do is
generate code.

3) You can use protoc's --descriptor_set_out flag to "compile" a set of
.proto files into a single FileDescriptorSet file, which can then be read in
any language that supports protocol buffers (it's just a protobuf itself,
defined in google/protobuf/descriptor.proto).