From: Evan Jones [mailto:ev...@mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 4:32 PM
To: David Dabbs
Cc: Protocol Buffers
Subject: Re: [protobuf] Java UTF-8 encoding/decoding: possible performance
improvements

On May 31, 2010, at 14:25 , David Dabbs wrote:
> you may access a String's internals via reflection in a "safe," albeit
> potentially implementation-specific way. See class code below.
> As long as your java.lang.String uses "value" for the char[] and
> "offset" for the storage offset, this should work.
> No sun.misc.Unsafe used. Only tested/used on JDK6.

Good idea! Unfortunately, this isn't much faster for small strings. It
is faster if you just get the value char[] array. However, when I
modified my implementation to get both the char[] value and int
offset, it ended up being about the same speed for my test data set,
which is composed mostly of "short" UTF-8 and ASCII strings.
Unfortunately, a correct implementation will need to get both values.
Since this is also somewhat "dangerous," it doesn't seem like a great
idea for my data.

At any rate:  I'll try to find some time to try and prepare a protocol
buffer patch with my "encode to a temporary ByteBuffer" trick, which
does make things a bit faster. I won't necessarily advocate this patch
to be included, but after having wasted this much time on this stuff,
I'll certainly try to maintain the patch for a while, in case others
are interested.

Evan

--
Evan Jones