Hm. Can you send the code snippet you are using to try to access your custom
option? You should just be accessing the options proto from
FieldDescriptor::options(), and calling GetExtension() on that.

Also, UnknownFields doesn't have anything to do with options extensions. Did
you mean UninterpretedOptions instead? UnknownFields store data that exists
in the serialization that the message definition doesn't know what to do
with. FieldOptions don't exist in the serialization - they're just
properties of the message definition.