protobuf-net does not include a full REST layer; it does include some basic
RPC, but I would suggest you divorce the two concerns:

 - write some additional code using WebClient or HttpWebRequest to act as
your rest consumer, obtaining either a Stream or byte[]
 - *then* deserialize that data separately using whichever protocol buffers
implementation you choose

I'm obviously biased towards protobuf-net, but since you have java as well
you may also do well to consider the Java port; you'll have an API that
largely matches the java version. But it should work with any consumer,
truth be told (else: we've mucked it up).

The various C# (/.NET) implementations are listed here:
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/wiki/ThirdPartyAddOns

Marc Gravell