1. I run it under valgrind. It shows "unconditional jump" on the line
that is calling "has_is_valid()", and if I remove that if() block,
there is no memcheck or leakcheck problems at all.
I have to mention that: a) the messages that I am trying to parse are
generated by apps that are using an older version of the proto file,
which does not have the "optional bool  is_valid = 7 [default = true];
" in it, but I suppose it shouldn't matter because there is a default
value there, and b) other attributes in the message are parsed
perfectly fine.

2. I'll see if I could generate the problem with a smaller proto and
code and if so, will post it here.